Tracking the number of devices connected to WiFi network

Started by Rodney

Hi, I am a Library Director, and we have opened up our WiFi for the public. However, I need to be able to track the number of devices connecting to the WiFi at my libraries.

I have 6 branch libraries and they all need to know this, so that I can report my annual usage of my Wireless. Does NetWorx provide this information? Ideally, I would be able to run a usage report each month, so that I could see how many devices and sessions have taken place in a month. Is this possible, or is there another or better product, such as NetGenius?

Thank you,
Rodney
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Tracking the number of devices connected to WiFi network   28 November 2019, 11:23

I am afraid neither NetWorx nor NetGenius are the right products for this purpose. These tools only monitor network usage on the computers they are installed on, whereas you need to know usage information for independent devices connecting to your WiFi access points.

We have Bandwidth Manager product that may help with that, but you will likely need to change your network configuration. It is usually installed on a separate PC that acts as a bridge between your WiFi access points and a router, as briefly explained in this article.

Please note, you will need a sound understanding of networking if you decide to use Bandwidth Manager, as it's mainly designed for network administrators. If you do decide to try it, we strongly recommend using it for the full duration of its free 30-day trial before purchasing a licence, to make sure it suits your needs.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.