Stuck on load after the latest Windows/MS Office update

Started by Alex

Hello,

I installed the latest version of Networx to make sure, and essentially, with the latest updates of either Windows 10 1909 (KB4537572) or the latest update of Microsoft Office Professional Pro 2016, Networx just gets stuck on load, and eats up about 12% CPU. The window won't display either.

I did a reinstall of Networx, and then rebooted. When the computer boots up, it works fine. But, as soon as I loaded up One Note 2016 (part of MS Office 2016), Networx disappeared, and again started to eat up 12% CPU. Closing One Note does not fix the issue.

Can you please look into this? I am not sure if it is either the Windows update, or Office update, but this happened in the last week only. Before that, it was working fine.

Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Stuck on load after the latest Windows/MS Office update   10 March 2020, 14:02

NetWorx itself does not depend itself on the .NET framework or MS Office updates. However, it sounds like there may be a broken or outdated installation of WinPCap in your system. While NetWorx does not require WinPCap, it will attempt to initialise it if it's installed, which might result in the symptoms you described.

Please try installing the latest build compiled without WinPCap support from here and let me know how it works for you.
Hello,

I tried the version in your link, and it still did not work. It did the same thing.

I had an older version (5.5.5) in my backups, and so I installed that, and that worked. I then tried to install the new version over it again, and it went back to doing the same thing, being stuck with no visible window, and no tray icon even. I went and installed 5.5.5 again over it once more, and again it worked. I repeated this several times to be sure. So, there is something wrong with the 6.2.x branch, and either MS Office, or some Windows update? This started happening as of just 2-3 days ago. I am currently running 5.5.5, but it doesn't have the newer features, so I prefer to run the newer version.

Please resolve.
Thanks.

Re: Stuck on load after the latest Windows/MS Office update   11 March 2020, 12:29

We can provide a debug build in this case to track the problem down, but before that could you please clarify:
  1. Does the portable version unpacked to a separate folder work okay?
  2. Do you have the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option turned on in your installed NetWorx?
The portable version works. However, in the portable version I am not able to select "Ignore local traffic within the LAN". That option is greyed out, even if I select Run as Administrator.
I believe I do have "Ignore local traffic" on in my other version, but I cannot check because the application doesn't load at all. I do need that option to be on.

Thanks.

Re: Stuck on load after the latest Windows/MS Office update   19 March 2020, 10:47

In that case the issue seems to be with the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option. I recommend trying the following:
  1. Update your NetWorx installation to the latest version (6.2.8). In that version we have significantly reworked the mechanism, and chances are it may now work well for you. The new version can be downloaded from NetWorx product page.
  2. Try our NetGenius. It is in many ways a new alternative to NetWorx designed for monitoring and managing network apps.

If NetGenius works and NetWorx does not, and you already own a licence for NetWorx, please let us know and we'll give you a replacement licence for NetGenius.
Hello again. Sorry for the delay, with all that's going on, time just seems to get away...

I had downloaded and installed 6.2.8, and it shows up, but it is frozen and doesn't record traffic. I did install the trial version of NetGenius, and that seems to work well.

I own a 10 Device license with the additional Unlimited updates. How do I contact you privately to get my licenses switched over?

Thank you.

Re: Stuck on load after the latest Windows/MS Office update   19 April 2020, 12:09

Simply send a message to our Help Desk mentioning this forum topic and providing details of your current licence.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.