Per-IP logging removal

Started by Norbert

Norbert

Per-IP logging removal   15 June 2020, 21:48

Hello,
I'm considering upgrading my old NetWorx licence but need to know more about the meaning in the changelog for version 6.2.8, where it is written that IP-logging has been removed. Does that mean that I can no longer monitor past data traffic linked with specific IP addresses? If that should be the case, NetWorx has lost its uniqueness for me, and would be tantamount to NetGenius.
With regard,
Norbert
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Per-IP logging removal   15 June 2020, 22:00

I am afraid that is the case. We rarely remove features from our products, except where the functionality has become obsolete or impossible to maintain. In this case, NetWorx is nearly 20 years old, and in that time operating systems, Internet speeds and surrounding applications changed dramatically, severely affecting the efficiency of IP address logging.

The removal of the functionality related to IP address logging was necessary for CPU-efficient traffic classification by application (using so-called 'flow contexts'). This is because we had many more users complaining about CPU usage than those who actually needed IP logging. If you require IP logging, I recommend staying with the last version that supports it (6.2.7).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.