Download rate is less than upload rate on the new router

Started by Andreja

Hi,
I used NetWorx to monitor my old router, and it always displayed correct values.
Today I changed my router, and my download and upload figures seem to have swapped places. On the old router the Avg DL Rate was showing larger numbers, which is correct. But now my Avg UL Rate has larger numbers that look similar to what used to be in Avg DL Rate on the old router, and vice versa. I must have used some option to reverse D/U in the past.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Download rate is less than upload rate on the new router   30 October 2020, 10:16

That may be because you have chosen an incorrect router interface, which is usually possible with SNMP.

If your router has two interfaces, LAN and WAN, their traffic flow would be identical, except the direction: one comes into the router from the Internet, the other comes out of the router to your devices. It is the same as if, for example, you were counting people coming through a door: if looking from the outside of the building, X people would be seen stepping into the doorway, and when looking at the same door from inside of the building, the same X people would appear to be stepping out of the doorway.

So, if you are monitoring the router with SNMP, first try a different interface and see if the numbers take the right direction. Otherwise, you can set the Swap upload and download option to True in the hidden options.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.