Gateway MAC address is partially different

Started by Giovanni

Giovanni

Gateway MAC address is partially different   30 November 2020, 10:29

I have been using the Networx application for several years. Lately I have been configuring two different smartphones, both of Samsung brand, in tethering router, and I use one or the other for the web connection of my PC, monitoring it with Networx.

My question is, why in Settings > Main > Networks..., Networx reports for one of the routers (the most recent smartphone Samsung Galaxy A50) an incorrect (partially different) MAC address? It shows 06-B4-29-08-9A-17 instead of 06-B4-29-08-95-17.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Gateway MAC address is partially different   30 November 2020, 11:19

As you have already noticed, the MAC address is only partially different.

Generally, for the same device, the first three octets of the MAC address match, and the last three octets can differ to a various degree. The first three octets are manufacturer-specific and are fixed. The last three octets can be anything.

This is described on the MAC Randomization page of Android OS manual. Random MAC addresses are used in many places, including hotspot, aka SoftAP mode. There may or may not be a way to turn this randomisation off, depending on your device manufacturer.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.