Feature request: Notification condition based on session traffic or daily traffic

Started by mrezak

Feature request: Notification condition based on session traffic or daily traffic   25 February 2021, 22:20

Hi SoftPerfect Team smile I hope you are all fine in this pandemic.

After some years of using NetWorx and waiting to see this special feature, I'd like to suggest it wink

Currently there are some fine options in Settings - Notifications tab, and I guess for general use most users need to know how much traffic was used in their Session Traffic (from the moment they start their Computer/NetWorx) or in Daily Traffic (today's usage). NetWorx already shows 4 types of reports like Session Traffic, Daily Traffic and others, so 99% of the job is already done. I only ask for these new options:

Please add these 4 options in Settings - Notifications tab - Notification condition - Within section:
  • Session Traffic
  • Daily Traffic
  • Weekly Traffic
  • Monthly Traffic

Thanks for your attentions and your great application. ok, yes, thumb up
Reza
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Feature request: Notification condition based on session traffic or daily traffic   02 March 2021, 10:25

Well, it's possible, but these notifications are designed to be short term and using them for longer periods may cause problems.

Say, you have set up an alert to show a message if monthly traffic exceeds X. As soon as that happens, the notifications will pop up non stop because the condition is true from then on and until the end of the month. If you choose to also shut down your PC automatically, it will be shut down by NetWorx until the end of the period.

If you simply want to be notified when you used a certain amount of data in a day, week or month, you can use the quota feature. It will notify you once and then stay quiet until the end of the period.

If you don't really need notifications, you can simply configure NetWorx to show your session/day/week/month traffic upon click or hovering the mouse over its icon.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Well, you can add the same popup window from "quota feature" into notifications section too with a countdown timer to give the user a chance to ignore it for this session or ignore it until the end of that period (day/week/month) or dismiss it.

The logic behind my suggestion is, Notification section in the Settings, already have all capabilities to combine "quota feature" into it, plus it has more and better Action options (like start an another app to do more complex tasks).

Btw, if it is okay (to prevent forum to be noisy with topics, unless you say it is okay) I like to request an additional feature on here too:
Sometimes we need to add or subtract from total upload/download traffic for various reasons. This change can happen on a day traffic. Please add this feature into "Usage Report" window or any other place you see it can fit. (For instance, I have an app on my mobile with the same feature, this one)

Anyway, thanks again for your great & useful & very handy application.

Best Regards
Reza
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Feature request: Notification condition based on session traffic or daily traffic   04 March 2021, 12:37

I am afraid it's a little more complicated than it seems. Notifications are using a temporary memory structure, while long-term records for days, weeks and months are kept in a disk database. We will check if we can combine both the quota and notifications into a single mechanism, but please don't expect it very soon.

Regarding adding or removing a certain number from daily records, I don't suppose it's widely needed feature. You can edit the database directly if you wish, here is a forum topic that explains how to do it.

Andrew

You can edit the database directly if you wish

It's good for now, thanks.

Andrew

We will check if we can combine both the quota and notifications into a single mechanism, but please don't expect it very soon.

No hurry here wink

Thanks for your supports. Good luck to you and other team members. ok, yes, thumb up

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.