SpeedMeter shows speeds higher than my provider's official numbers

Started by Roel

I have a question about the figures I see in the Speed Meter. Officially, my provider delivers the speeds of 500 Megabit/s download and 40 Megabit/s upload.

However, NetWorx Speed Meter shows (and has been for weeks) the download speed of 426 Mbit/s (which looks correct), and the upload speed of 60-95 Mbit/s.
How should I be interpreting these upload figures?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: SpeedMeter shows speeds higher than my provider's official numbers   30 March 2021, 12:52

It is likely that the traffic shaper your ISP is using allows short bursts, i.e. when the maximum rate can exceed the limit for ~1 second.

Try displaying the average figures instead, as shown below. This will give you a more realistic picture of what your connection can achieve for downloads:

SoftPerfect support forum
Thanks! The solution worked, average result: 406 / 38.6
What influence do these short burst have?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: SpeedMeter shows speeds higher than my provider's official numbers   31 March 2021, 11:19

Those bursts don't have much significance, it's just that when you start downloading something, the maximum speed can exceed your ISP's limit for a second or so.

In prolonged use, you will not see any difference. But if you measure the speed at the moment of one of those bursts, you can see a significantly higher figure. That is why average numbers give you more realistic information.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.