Speeds reported in Speed Meter are lower than expected

Started by Michael

Hi,
I've configured NetWorx to perform speed tests from my router, rather than my laptop (the router is chosen in the Monitored interfaces list in Settings). This way I can rule out any Wi-Fi delays in my results. My typical upload is speed is 20-30 Mbps, and typical download speed is 200-300 Mbps. But when I see the results in Speed Meter, the numbers are significantly smaller. I've read the FAQ about "Speed discrepancy", but it doesn't seem to answer my question. Can you help shed some light on this?
Thanks!
Mike

SoftPerfect support forum
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Speeds reported in Speed Meter are lower than expected   10 August 2021, 13:07

It looks like there is a lot of variation in the measured speeds in your case. Some measurements match your typical speed or even higher, e.g. 34.9 MB/s down-speed (that's 279.2 megabit) and 5.75 MB/s up-speed (that's 46 megabit). However a few other measurements are lower, and there are increased ping times when that happens.

There could be a number of reasons: the WiFi itself, some interference, packet loss, or line congestion, which is common for connections like hybrid fiber-coaxial. When you select the router in NetWorx settings, it does not mean speed testing is done from there. It means NetWorx will be polling your router's usage, but speed testing is still done from your computer.

If you want to narrow the issue down, you could run two continuous ping commands in a command prompt and observe their output:
ping 192.168.0.1 (replace this with your router's IP address)
ping 1.1.1.1 (this is a public IP address)

Let them run for a while and see how and if the response times are changing. If both vary a lot, the culprit is likely to be your WiFi. If only the public IP address ping varies a lot, there may be an issue with your connection. Here is a sample of the output:

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.