Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS

Started by Christian Landau

Christian Landau

Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   06 February 2022, 22:09

Hi,

Checked LAN Filter doesn't work correctly. It counts my traffic to my NAS as upload. Why?

Any suggested help?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   07 February 2022, 13:22

Normally when the "Ignore local traffic" option is ticked, it will disregard any traffic between a set of local IP addresses.

There is a chance that your PC communicates with the NAS over routable IPv6 addresses assigned by the ISP. For example, if we try to ping our local NAS here, it will print:
ping nas

Pinging NAS.local [2001:db8:...] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2001:db8:...: time=2ms
Reply from 2001:db8:...: time=6ms
If that's the case, please try the latest build. It should disregard local communications over public IPv6 addresses.
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   07 February 2022, 22:24

Correct. My PC communicates with my Synology NAS over IPv6. Checked with the ping cmd.

Latest Build closes after installation immediately sad No Chance for testing... Tried uninstalling and installing again. Same behavior of the executable.Can you give me another version? Or check latest build?

Thanks in advance.
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   07 February 2022, 23:24

Hi Andrew,

FYI, I made a short file transfer to my NAS while watching Networx statistics. No upload was counted. smile
Now I just need a version that doesn't close within a few seconds to be very happy.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   10 February 2022, 13:54

Are you saying it crashes after running after a few seconds? That's odd.

Do you know what version you had installed before this (that did not crash)?
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   10 February 2022, 16:43

Yes. Taskbar icon disappears after a few seconds... Tried also a clean install. Same thing.

Official release version 6.2.10. This one works like a charm. Taskbar icon stays there forever. smile
Specs: Windows 10 latest updates, x64, 32GB RAM, ...

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   14 February 2022, 15:21

Thank you, we found what was causing the crash and have fixed it. Please try installing the latest build and let me know how it works for you.
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   14 February 2022, 20:53

Hi Andrew,

Tried new latest build. NAS traffic isn't counted anymore and app crashes no more smile But download traffic over my VPN (Surfshark) is now counted as Download and as Upload. This doesn't happen with official version 6.2.10. Only with latest build. What's the problem with this? Old problem solved, new problem comes...

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   14 February 2022, 22:15

It's probably something to do with timing and startup sequence. Previously NetWorx would start at boot and you would launch VPN later. Now you likely updated and re-launched NetWorx with VPN already connected, so it's counted. A simple reboot may well fix that.

In general it's a little tricky with VPN clients. Sometimes their traffic is recorded and sometimes it's not, depending on how a VPN client is implemented and which started first. Essentially a VPN client is a process that captures traffic from other applications, encrypts it and sends it over a tunnel. Monitoring tools like NetWorx can't really distinguish that from regular applications.
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   06 May 2022, 15:55

Can I upgrade to version 7 without losing the feature that NAS traffic isn't reported? Or does this feature only work with the latest build sent to me on February the 14th?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Re: Enabled LAN filter counts traffic to NAS   06 May 2022, 16:14

Yes, you can upgrade to version 7. It should exclude local IPv6 traffic the same way as the build you are using. If you encounter any issues, please let us know.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.