Netbook with 1GB RAM

Started by paul1149

paul1149

Netbook with 1GB RAM   27 February 2014, 12:53

Hi Guys,

I'm new to RamDisk and pretty excited about it. I have a netbook with a 160GB hard drive that shows a good SMART report. No bad sectors. And throughput is very decent at 50mb/s. But for some reason it has a very slow - on average 26.4ms - seek time. I did all I could to help it, and nothing changed anything. The performance of the netbook was quite bad.

Then I stumbled upon RamDisk. The difference is amazing most of the time. I have set 160mb as the virtual drive, and then I mapped the two Windows 7 (Starter) Temp directories to it. I also mapped IE's temp folder to the ramdisk.

Here's my concern. What is going to happen if Windows needs to do a big job - say, installing a large .NET file or a service pack - and the TEMP folder is not big enough? Is there provision for overflow?

Also, what file system, if any, should I be using? I chose FAT32 for its low overhead.

Thanks for any insight you can give. Great prog!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Netbook with 1GB RAM   28 February 2014, 11:42

In that case a large installation will likely fail, though some installers create their temporary files outside of %TEMP% if they run out of space.

If that happens, you can just temporary reassign %TEMP% to a hard drive location and set it back to the RAM disk after the installation completes.

As to the file system, there perhaps won't be much difference between FAT32 and NTFS, yet with NTFS you can also enable data compression, so all data will be compressed when written to the RAM disk which gives more space on it.
paul1149

Re: Netbook with 1GB RAM   28 February 2014, 11:57

Thank you, Andrew. I'm going to watch this unit for a while. The hard drive might be too slow to keep in any case. I did get one out of storage space error, I think in Opera, but it was only one.

The compression sounds interesting. Will look up how much space is saved at what possible cost in time.

BW,
Paul

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.