RAM Disk for Temp files

Started by BearPup

RAM Disk for Temp files   22 June 2014, 04:12

Hello All,
I'm trying to create a RAM disk as the place for my Windows Temp files, but I'm clearly doing something wrong.
I have created a RAM disk R:\ of 4 GB and have told the software to create this disk at bootup, and to create a folder called Temp on the R:\ drive. This it is successfully doing, but the folder itself is empty. If someone could explain what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM Disk for Temp files   23 June 2014, 14:17

What do you expect to find in this folder?

If you want to place Windows temporary files in it, you need to change the Windows %TMP% and %TEMP% variables to point to that folder. The easiest way to do it is to choose Tools - Set Windows TEMP folder from the RAM Disk's main menu. Then, after a while, you'll see temporary files in it. wink

Re: RAM Disk for Temp files   24 June 2014, 03:37

@Andrew: I'm still confused. When I press the 'Set Windows Temp Folder' button in the Tools Menu, I get a pop-up box with two identical lines pre-filled in with the following: "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp". Are you saying I should change that line or is that the line as its supposed to be? I guess I'm expecting some line of code similar to a DOS-style "Set Temp=R:\Temp" - or is that the effect of the aforementioned button? Some specific instructions would be very much appreciated.

Re: RAM Disk for Temp files   24 June 2014, 14:12

Those lines are the default Windows location for temporary files. You can change them to the newly created RAM disk, something like R:\Temp.

Don't write anything like Set Temp=R:\Temp, just put in R:\Temp or whatever disk letter and folder name you chose, but make sure they exist. Windows and applications may throw strange errors if they cannot find a valid temporary folder.

Re: RAM Disk for Temp files   24 June 2014, 21:19

@Andrew: And which file does the R:\Temp line of code go - autoexec.bat; system.ini; win.ini; or...? (I still don't understand why the Set command isn't the way to go!).

Many thanks for your assistance.

Re: RAM Disk for Temp files   25 June 2014, 00:27

It goes to the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

The set command isn't a way to go because its effect is not persistent (good until reboot).

If you want another way of doing it, here it is.

Re: RAMDisk for Temp files   25 June 2014, 01:08

@Andrew: Thank you very much, both the location and the tutorial that it contains are exactly what I've been looking for. I'm confident that this will give me the information that I need.

UPDATE: That tutorial was exactly what I was looking for - how to change the environmental variables under Windows (my SET command). All temp files are now being written to R (RAMDisk) \TEMP. That'll speed up things. Thanks again.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.