Application usage tracking

Started by jithin

jithin

Application usage tracking   20 July 2013, 05:11

HI

My data transfer has increased all of a a sudden even though I dont use it much.I suspect this is due to some application having outbound connection.

When I try to use the Application tracking in usage report it says to select the Ignore LAN .So I go to settings ,but there I cannot select Ignore LAN, I can see the Ignore LAN in text but unfortunately it is transparent and not in black as the rest of the text in the settings option.

I would like to add that I use a usb dongle and I do not have a router
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Application usage tracking   20 July 2013, 10:51

Perhaps you have unticked the Install LAN traffic filtering driver option when installing NetWorx.
jithin

Application usage tracking   20 July 2013, 15:34

Thanks Andrewsmile After I did that I got the application tracking running,but then there is this application which is called Unknown and it takes 72%, could you tell me how to get rid of this application?

Application usage tracking   20 July 2013, 18:10

Try using the latest build from the snapshots.

It should now correctly resolve the system processes that were previously recorded as Unknown.

Application usage tracking   22 July 2013, 03:58

Hi Andrew,

I installed this latest version dated 2013-07-20 with the custom driver.

Prior to connecting to the internet I checked NW Graph and router totals for the day:

NW = 15,874.82KB Router = 15,877KB Diff = 2.18KB (router higher at this point, it initiates it's own traffic at boot)

and I switched config to 'Ignore Local...', which forces 'All Connections'

Once I connected, NW recorded a steady stream of very small chunks of traffic (Teredo IPV6?).

I didn't browse any sites to avoid traffic, I just wanted to see what NW would do.

I disconnected after 10 minutes and checked the new NW Graph and router totals for the day:
(Even after disconnecting, NW continued to record a steady stream of very small chunks of traffic, I had to exit and restart NW to stop the recording.)

NW = 15,921.86KB Router = (15,896KB - 2.18KB) Diff = 28.04KB (NW is much higher)

Therefore there was a net change in traffic for:

NW = 47.04KB Router = (19KB - 2.18KB) Diff = 28.04KB for only about 10 minutes run time.

I switched the config back to monitor the router, etc. and don't have the problem now (I'm connected to post this).

There was 73.34KB showing in the Applications Tab, which is far higher than the 47.04KB increase shown in the Graph.

So there's still at least 2 problems.

J
Attachments:
open | download – Networx steady stream of small chunks.png (10.7 KB)
open | download – Networx Applications.png (26.3 KB)

Application usage tracking   23 July 2013, 12:29

Hi Praxis,

This seems to be local multicast traffic related to UPnP requests sent out by svchost.exe.

NetWorx has got a erroneously narrower IP address range specified. If you click the Setup button next to the Ignore LAN traffic tick box, you will see an entry of 224.0.0.0 to 224.0.0.255.

This is not quite right and I have just fixed this. You can correct it in your instance. This entry should have been 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 to include all possible multicast addresses.

Application usage tracking   23 July 2013, 14:27

Thanks Andrew,

That seems to have done the trick.

I didn't have this entry so I added it 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255

I suppose I could say that I should have known to include all possible multicast addresses, but that's way out of my league.

ok, yes, thumb up and smile

J
R.P.Sharma

Application usage tracking per session / per day etc.   11 August 2013, 20:33

The new feature "Applications" under usage report is very good, which I always needed, but it shows cumulative usage and not current time usage. I also want the facility to show current session's usage of each application or at least par day usage in this "Applications" tab. Is any way / option is there to find out the same. If not may kindly consider to include the same in Networx.
Thanks
RPS

Application usage tracking   12 August 2013, 09:27

Yes, we'll add some sort of real-time application monitor and more detailed stats later.
Keith Vass

Application usage tracking   22 August 2013, 10:30

Can you plse give full step by step instructions on how to show the Applications Usage?
D.

Application usage tracking   21 September 2013, 16:51

Dear All,

How could I know where an application runs from? Networx shows a mysterious application (Usage Report, Application tab) receives only. I don't know where it runs from. No path displayed. Name of the application consists of Chinese characters or squares. There are also two "unknown" applications. I checked my system for viruses, malware , rootkits. Nothing was found.

Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance.

Application usage tracking   21 September 2013, 18:04

It's apparently some sort of a bug. I received another report today where it was Chinese characters. I will double-check the application tracking code and try to figure out where it went wrong.
Puiu

Application usage tracking   24 September 2013, 02:23

Hi Andrew,

I have same issue, a mysterious application (Usage Report, Application tab) that only receives some data. Name of the application (image name) consists of Chinese characters - 卖荈㣬ས瑿․襈䣋䎋䡸茻

I hope you can fix that, because Networx bandwidth monitoring and usage reporting it's an awesome tool.

Thank you in advance.

Application usage tracking   24 September 2013, 07:13

Could you please try the latest build from here.

Delete all records from the Application and view and let me know if these weird "Chinese characters" appear again.
D.

Application usage tracking   24 September 2013, 07:23

Hi Andrew !

I use 5.2.10 64-bit. Build you linked is newer?

Application usage tracking   26 September 2013, 09:24

Yes. It's the same version but it contains a fix for these characters.
lukasz

Application usage tracking   27 September 2013, 21:33

5.2.10 64bit version here

chinase characters and unknown data usage are here, still not fixed

Application usage tracking   28 September 2013, 14:21

Have you tried clearing the list of applications?
lukasz

Application usage tracking   28 September 2013, 16:43

Andrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried clearing the list of applications?

after installation i had it on my list, then cleared it. few days later it appeared again. for now its ok,
but seems like it will appear again
lets see how goes
lukasz

Application usage tracking   30 September 2013, 01:54

so today chinase and unknown appeared again, after cleaning

it needs to be fixed still
Scott Wylie

Re: Application usage tracking   02 October 2013, 23:46

Hello,

When I check applications under usage report, I too have Chinese characters as my top application (75%). How do I find out what this usage is, and is there any way of copying the characters so I could at least get a translation? I have tried and failed to copy.

Re: Application usage tracking   02 October 2013, 23:51

These are just random meaningless characters.

It does not mean you have some Chinese software.

It's a bug bug in NetWorx that we're currently investigating.

Re: Application usage tracking   04 October 2013, 23:30

Good news ok, yes, thumb up. The obscure bug with garbled characters shown in the application report has been fixed.

Anyone who's experiencing it is welcome to download and install this update
Krishna Gopalan

Re: Application usage tracking   08 October 2013, 16:43

I installed the update of 04-Oct-2013 mentioned by Andrew two days back. So far the 'Chinese' Character/garbled characters do not appear in the Application usage. (After deleting all existing application usage). But am still seeing 'Unknown' application consume large percentage of data. Actually I am unable to delete the Unknown appplication row at all. So the bug seems partially fixed but needs some more work I guess?

BTW- thanks for the great application - apart from this minor irritant I am extremely satisfied with the tool and haven't found anything close to this.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.