Download speed monitor units

Started by John

John

Download speed monitor units   20 August 2014, 04:56

My internet connection is 15 MB down and 10 up. When downloading with nothing else going on, Networx says that my speed is a steady 1.9 MB/s.

My understanding is that MB means megabytes but that would give me a tremendously fast connection... which I do not have! In Networx, does MB mean megabits? Is there a setting I can tweak relative to this item?

I have not changed anything in Networx from the defaults that were there on installation.

Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Download speed monitor units   20 August 2014, 08:42

Usually when ISPs advertise their broadband plans, they may say it is 15 MB/s download or something like that. This normally means that:
  • 15 MB is the peak rate and can only be achieved between you and the ISP. If you download a file from a non-ISP's server it's usually slower.
  • In their fine print MB refers to megabits and not megabytes. As one byte is made of 8 bits, 15 MB essentially means 1.89 megabytes/sec at peak.

Though ISPs always choose the best looking number, in NetWorx Graph settings you can choose whether you prefer megabytes or megabits for the Transfer rate units.

SoftPerfect support forum
John

Re: Download speed monitor units   22 August 2014, 00:58

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.