Loading default filter

Started by Rip

Rip

Loading default filter   13 November 2013, 02:06

Hello,
Would it be possible to have filtered results load on entry to Network Scanner?
Currently I use NS in a Domain environment to ascertain a users IP address so that I can use TightVNC to log into their machines if they require help. I am only interested in machines that have users logged on and would like those results available to me each time I run NS: is that possible?
It would also be nice if you could somehow integrate a TightVNC viewer and remote into a users machine with a few clicks.
Thanks
Rip

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   13 November 2013, 02:41

Hello, I found a solution to the second part of my query: how to integrate TightVNC into NS. I went under Options > Program Options > Applications tab > New button and added the file path to tnviewer followed by %0.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   13 November 2013, 06:52

Yes, it's possible.

1. Scan your network as usual.
  2. Hit Ctrl + I and apply the filter you need.
  3. Tick File - Recent Files - Auto Load/Save to Most Recent File.
  4. Save the current output to a file.

Next time you launch NS, it will load the filtered file you saved in step 4 automatically.
Rip

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   13 November 2013, 20:09

Hello Andrew,
Thanks for your response. I tested your suggestion but the results are static. I will explain why I am applying a filter. We use TightVNC on our LAN to remotely assist our users: they don't necessarily work at the same station. I scan the network then use the filter Logged User Not empty (the output, of course, is dependent on who is logged on at the time of scan) from this dynamic list I am able to further filter and find the user and access their machines via TightVNC (as set up above). It would be really nice to have the filter load on start up and applied automatically to each subsequent scan I run: is this possible?

Thank you again.

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   13 November 2013, 20:26

Not in the current version.

But you could perhaps save a few clicks as recently used filters go to View - Quick Filter Hosts, so you can quickly apply a filter that you used in the past.
Rip

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   18 November 2013, 20:23

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply; is there a way I can request this feature for a future release?

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   18 November 2013, 21:38

Yes, consider it requested, I will add an option, something like Persistent Filter in the next release.
Rip

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   19 November 2013, 20:08

Hello Andrew,
Thank you.

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   21 November 2013, 22:29

In the latest release (5.5.3) a filter is retained between sessions.

It's not automatically applied though. Please grab a fresh copy to see how it works.

Simply apply it once and don't close the filter pane when closing the network scanner.

Then next time the application starts, the pane should appear with your previous filter and you'll only have to click the "Apply" button.
Rip

Re: Network Scanner - Save a default filter   12 December 2013, 04:47

Hi Andrew,
Thank you. May I make a feature request to have more Boolean operators, such as OR, between multiple filters (currently I can only see AND)?

Does Network Scanner have the ability to show Open Sessions on a file server (Located under Computer management > System Tools > Shared Folders) ? Infrequently I have to close locked files for users but this means logging onto a file server finding the file or user and RH clicking and selecting Close Open File from contextual menu; it would be great if this could be done from a tool where I could filter on file or user name.

Thanks again.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.