Long paths in Remote Registry information

Started by rmpf2

rmpf2

Long paths in Remote Registry information   14 January 2014, 01:59

Hi. With the following statement I can check for Symantec Endpoint Antivirus Definitions

HKLM
\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\SharedDefs\
DEFWATCH_10

The problem is that I get a long string path with the desire value at the end. Is there any possibility on manipulating columns to strip and show only that part of the information& Thanks.
rmpf2

Remote Registry information   14 January 2014, 23:56

This is the long string path

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1000.157.105\Data\Definitions\VirusDefs\20140113.022

20140113.022 is the desire value - the symantec endpoint definition.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Remote Registry information   15 January 2014, 23:22

Yes, we've just added support for regular expressions. Suppose you have a long path like this

SoftPerfect support forum

Then right-click the column's heading and choose Change Column View

Enter a regular expression to match the piece of information you need. In your case [^\\]*$.

Finally you will see the effect of this regex

rmpf2

Re: Remote Registry information   16 January 2014, 00:05

Andrew like always, thanks, I really appreciate all the work you have done. I haven't tested the new feature jet but I,m pretty sure that it would resolve not just this one but a lot of other requests too. Do you think it can be documented on the online manual with details of how to assemble different expressions to achieve different goals???? Or can you tell where to find the proper information.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Remote Registry information   16 January 2014, 00:23

Once it becomes a release, I will mention the support of regular expressions and perhaps add some basic examples.

Unfortunately while being a powerful tool, regular expressions are also a rather complicated subject.

You can find some basic explanations here.

The regex in your example [^\\]*$ essentially means the following

1. Match any character that is not a "\" «[^\\]*»
  2. Between zero and unlimited times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «*»
  3. Assert position at the end of the string (or before the line break at the end of the string, if any) «$»
rmpf2

Re: Remote Registry information   16 January 2014, 00:47

I'm checking the link info. You know what when I first ask for the expression support I didn't notice that the resulted long string paths were different, maybe base on Operating System,

For Win XP = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1000.157.105\Data\Definitions\VirusDefs\20140114.023"

For Win 7 = "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1000.157.105\Data\Definitions\VirusDefs\20140114.023"

but your solution is more than adequate because the positive result obtained ( "20140114.023" ) were the same for all. It did not depends on OS. Really, really helpful. Thanks

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.