Command line tokens for day, year, month, hour, minute don't work

Started by Matthew Fletcher

Per the online guide:

"It is also possible to have the current date and time in the file name. Use any combination of the following tokens, each enclosed between two percent signs: y, yy, yyyy, m, mm, mmm, mmmm, d, dd, ddd, dddd, h, hh, n, nn, s, ss. For example, date_%yyyy%%mm%%dd%_time_%hh%%nn%.csv."

However this doesn't seem to work at all for me. Example I tried:
netscan.exe /auto:"Testing_%mm%-%dd%-%yyyy%_scan.txt" /load:"myfile-Default.xml"

Any suggestions??

I tried with and without quotes, single quotes, double % signs also no good... I tried with and without extra space between /auto: and /load:, and without extra space nothing works, its like the token doesn't get replaced when saving to file with correct value.
Solution found:

You must make sure the tokens aren't in quotes, and that its two percent signs before and after each token, else it doesn't work with a single percent sign.
If you need a space, it must be in the quotes like below where there's a blank space after 0737 for the filename in the subdirectory of 0737:
netscan.exe /auto:"0737\0737 "%%mm%%-%%dd%%-%%yyyy%%".txt"

this won't work:
netscan.exe /auto:0737\0737 %%mm%%-%%dd%%-%%yyyy%%".txt"

this will without the space:
netscan.exe /auto:0737\0737%%mm%%-%%dd%%-%%yyyy%%".txt"

Hope this helps someone else!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Command Line tokens for day, year, month, hour, minute don't work   19 March 2015, 15:05

Hi Matthew, thanks for posting your observations.

It's not a bug however, but the default behaviour of the Windows shell if you launch netscan.exe from a batch file or a command prompt.

So yes, for any % sign you need to pass to a program, you have to double it. Here is more info about escaping special characters.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.