Required services on a Windows 7 host

Started by wbfl2016

Required services on a Windows 7 host   16 August 2016, 20:37

Hi,

first of all I like to thank you for this great tool!

Maybe my question has been answered long time ago, but I didn't find the right topic:
In our network we have disabled a lot of services on our Windows 7 machines. My question is: which services should (or have to) be enabled on a windows 7 host in order to be detected and for managing by the Network Scanner?

Many thanks in advance
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Required services on a Windows 7 host   16 August 2016, 21:46

I am not quite sure what you mean. The basic app's functionality doesn't depend on any services, though certain features require specific services to be active and configured on both host and machines being scanned. For example:
  • WMI requires Windows Management Instrumentation and Remote Procedure Call.
  • Remote Registry requires the Remote Registry Service.
  • Remote PowerShell requires Windows Remote Management (WinRM)

Re: Required services on a Windows 7 host   17 August 2016, 15:27

Hi Andrew,

thank you for your fast reply.

That is the kind of information I need! But is it all or are there some other services which are required by the network scanner-functions?

The background to my questions is:
On the one hand I have disabled / I want to disable as many services as possible on our windows7-machines to reduce broadcasts, to save resource and to increase security.
On the other hand I want to monitor and manage the machines with network scanner.

Thanks a lot
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Required services on a Windows 7 host   17 August 2016, 15:52

The above list isn't exhaustive. The Network Scanner has numerous functions, which use a number of Windows APIs. This makes it impossible to create a complete list of what function depends on what services, especially considering it may vary between Windows versions.

I guess my advice is to initially turn off all the services you don't need. Then if some of the Network Scanner's functions don't work as expected, you can figure out what services should be re-enabled and activate them accordingly.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.