Why are remote shared folders listed for IP but not for computer name?

Started by pstein

Why are remote shared folders listed for IP but not for computer name?   19 April 2024, 21:06

Assume I am in a small inhouse network. No domain controller/Active directory is used. Is is just a simple WORKGROUP/HOMEGROUP network between a small number of computers.

I connected successfully from local computer (Win 10) to a remote computer (Win 10) with a different user and password. When I click on the remote computer's name in "Network" section of Windows Explorer, I can see all available remote shared folders, and I can access them (copy files to and from).
Good.

Now I launched Softperfect Network Scanner and performed a scan. All remote computers in network are listed.
So far good.

BUT: the remote computer does NOT show a "+" to the left of it. So I cannot expand it and let it list all remote shared folders.
Why?

When instead of a computer name
\\remotecomp123
I connect (and login) to a remote computer via its IP
\\192.168.0.17
the remote shared folder listing works.

How can I tell Softperfect Network Scanner to treat a remote computer name the same way as its corresponding remote IP?
...and automatically list all shared folder below the remote computer name?

Windows Explorer shows that this works (in other programs).
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Why are remote shared folders listed for IP but not for computer name?   20 April 2024, 11:37

It's difficult to pinpoint why this occurs, but it seems that if a PC is already connected by name, Windows may refuse to fetch its shares by IP address.

You could try a simple workaround: navigate to Options > Shares > Method and switch it to the SMB2 library, as illustrated below:

SoftPerfect support forum

In this scenario, Network Scanner will utilise its own implementation of SMB and will not depend on Windows functions, which should resolve the issue.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.