Creating Ramdisk Image

Started by railman

railman

Creating Ramdisk Image   23 January 2014, 12:20

Hi,

Would like to know how the image option works? It appears by reading the manual that you can create an image on a disk and use that image as a ramdisk. Is this correct? What I would like to do is this, I have a PCIe express card onto which I would like to create a ramdisk. Is this possible?

Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Creating Ramdisk Image   23 January 2014, 13:26

A RAM Disk is a block of memory that can be accessed as a disk device. Due to the nature how RAM works, its contents is gone after reboot or shutdown. This means anything you store on a RAM disk is gone after a reboot.

The image files are used to overcome this behaviour. An image file is a regular file on a HDD, that is read into a RAM disk to populate it with contents. Likewise, before the system restarts the contents of a RAM disk can be saved to an image file to preserve user data between sessions.

I am not sure what you want to do with the PCIe express card that you have, as this RAM disk software only uses RAM ('software RAM disk'). You can find out more about how a RAM disk works in Wikipedia.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.