RAM disk not always being saved

Started by Andrew-guest

Andrew-guest

RAM disk not always being saved   09 July 2014, 14:44

I'm noticing that sometimes RAM disk file is not being updated with latest contents upon PC shutdown.

How do I debug the problem and monitor the issue? I haven't find anything in Windows Event Viewer.

I'm using latest version 3.4.5 on Windows 8.1 x64. RAM disk is 1 GB, saved inside D:\RAMdisk1.svi. D:\ is an SSD drive.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM disk not always being saved   09 July 2014, 15:47

If you are using NTFS on that RAM disk, please try it with FAT32 and let me know if that changes anything.
Andrew-guest

Re: RAM disk not always being saved   09 July 2014, 18:42

Indeed it's using NTFS. However I'm afraid I can't change that to FAT32 since I seriously need compression feature working. Otherwise I'd need to increase the RAM disk capacity and this is a bad option for me.

Is this a known bug? Can there be any other workaround?

Regards
Andrew-guest

Re: RAM disk not always being saved   14 July 2014, 17:38

Well, I've just noticed that I can't really confirm my original described problem.

I could see many times that after another reboot RAM disk file still has an old modification date, and I always thought it means that last save attempt failed.

However recently I've checked the actual content of the RAM disk and found out that it still contains the files from the last day, meaniing their creating/modification date were later than modification date of the RAM disk itself. Due to the nature of the content inside (I'm using RAM disk as a folder for browser and its cache) I can't always say what data and how much of it has been lost, because it always gets regenerated quite fast (feeds are being updated with all lost content automatically, logged-in statuses/cookies are quickly fixed by logging in with saved passwords etc). It also can be affected by browser crashes.

I'll look more closely next time something like this happens to better identify the issue, and report back if I find it was really the case of RAM disk save failure.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.