Different RAM disk size when created by different programs

Started by Deb

Good day.
Encouraged by the positive reply that I received in my other thread, here I ask again.

Being new to the use of ram disks, I am experimenting with different programs, and I have noticed that Windows Task Manager shows different memory allocations when the ram disks are created by different programs. If I am allowed to mention programs by name on this forum, when the ram disk is created by ImDisk Toolkit, the size of the ram disk appears as being used by "System", which is not the case if the ram disk has been created using your software. I was wondering if there is an explanation for this behaviour. Thank you for your attention.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Different RAM disk size when created by different programs   27 April 2018, 15:09

Most likely it stems from the way different programs allocate memory for disks. Without going into much technical details, the reason is that it is possible to allocate memory for a RAM disk from virtual or physical memory, and this may be displayed differently in the Task Manager.

ImDisk lets you choose which memory to use, while our RAM Disk app only uses physical memory, but in the end it doesn't really matter. What is more important is how fast and reliable the RAM Disk is, and how agreeable you find your own experience with it. You can run DiskMark test against different RAM disks to see which one works best for you.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.