How to move Temp and TMP folders back to their original location

Started by hristov

How to move Temp and TMP folders back to their original location   19 February 2019, 23:50

Sorry for the stupid question, but I redirected Windows temp and tmp file directories to folder on my RamDisk named temp. I did it like this: I clicked on RamDisk and clicked on "make temporary files folder ... etc". In my case A is the letter of the Ram Drive, so I redirected to A:\temp.

After that, I had problems installing some programs like Bitdefender antivirus that demand temp folders to be it their default location. How can I restore them back to the default windows 10 directory? I opened RamDisk again, went to temp files directory menu and changed to C:\temp, and now I am able to install Bitdefender, but I know that Win 10 has two directories for temp files. The other one is in C:\user\App Data\Local\Temp. Where and how should move that?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to move Temp and TMP folders back to their original location   20 February 2019, 00:21

The default Windows TMP/TEMP locations is
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
You can change it back to the default values by either:
  • In the RAM Disk app choose Tools - Set Windows TEMP folder from the main menu and set both to the above value.
  • Or press Win + R, run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced - Environment values. Then set both TMP and TEMP to the above value.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.