Using RAM disk for browser cache

Started by sasagi

sasagi

Using RAM disk for browser cache   29 July 2020, 09:52

Hello folks, I will be brief.

I've been using Chrome and Softperfect RAM Disk, the perfect combo for enhancing my browsing experience. I'm totally satisfied with everything, with one downside.

In general, when I move Chrome cache to a RAMdisk, I can simply create browser shortcut on the desktop, right click on it and add
--disk-cache-dir="z:\foldername"
in the dialog box in the target field, and I'm all set. This is what I am using now.

The problem is, it works as intended only for that shortcut I've just created. It doesn't save the cache to RAMdisk drive if I open it on a different shortcut, or double click html files and the like. Any solution for this? I want my Chrome cache to be saved to RAM drive universally.

Thank you so much for making this program.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Using RAM disk for browser cache   29 July 2020, 11:56

We have a perfect app for you: Cache Relocator. It creates a permanent symbolic link to a RAM disk location. This works regardless of how Chrome was started.
Mkn

Re: Using RAM disk for browser cache   05 August 2020, 19:32

I've used symbolic links in the past but at times Google (and now Edge Chromium) seem to replace the folders and reset the links during upgrades. For Chrome and Edge Chromium there is a better way using policy templates.

Edge Chromium uses the same approach, except it has a different registry root as it uses a tree from:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.