Moving XML with settings from an old free version to the latest

Started by radish

Moving XML with settings from an old free version to the latest   19 April 2022, 21:58

I have been using SoftPerfect Ramdisk for years and stuck with the last freeware version 3.4.8. Though I don't need a new version I decided to purchase the latest version as a way of saying thank you for excellent software.

However, I have one question: is it okay to import saved (XML) settings for a RAM disk from version 3.4.8 into version 4.3.2 (i.e. the current latest version)?

I do know it's dead easy to create a RAM disk from scratch with your software, but I'm lazy and would like the lazy way out.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Moving XML with settings from an old free version to the latest   20 April 2022, 10:07

Yes, it would be fine to export everything to an XML file and then import it into the new version.

Unfortunately, direct upgrade by simply installing the current version over that old version is not possible. So the best way to do it is:
  1. Backup your configuration to an XML file.
  2. If you have set Windows %TEMP% to a RAM disk, revert it to a temporary hard-disk location.
  3. Uninstall the old RAM Disk application and reboot.
  4. Install the latest version and import your XML file.
  5. If you did step 2, set %TEMP% to point to a RAM disk again.

It's also worth noting that the latest versions support the exFAT filesystem, which generally outperforms NTFS due to low overhead. Here is some guidance on choosing a filesystem.

Re: Moving XML with settings from an old free version to the latest   20 April 2022, 22:07

Thanks for the response Andrew. When I went to install the latest version over the old version I did get an alert saying that I had to uninstall the old version first. All went smoothly and configured using XML fine, though I did change to exFAT as advised.

However, for future reference:

Andrew

Unfortunately, direct upgrade by simply installing the current version over that old version is not possible.

Does that mean that with current versions it's okay to install a new version over the top of the older version?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Moving XML with settings from an old free version to the latest   20 April 2022, 23:25

Yes, from v4.0.4 onwards new releases can be simply installed over, followed by a reboot.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.