How to safely change RAM disk file system

Started by User

User

How to safely change RAM disk file system   27 September 2022, 14:52

I have a boot-time RAM disk that contains system TEMP, browser cache and temporary files of a few other apps. The disk is formatted in NTFS, but now I want to re-format it in exFAT. RAM Disk manual says:

If you use a RAM disk for system temporary files, browser cache or files created by other applications, you should exit those applications or revert those files to the hard disk before deleting or unmounting the RAM disk, to prevent errors arising from the other software trying to access the RAM disk that became unavailable.

But I am wondering if there is a safe way to change the file system on my RAM disk without moving system environment variables and other software settings back and forth?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to safely change RAM disk file system   27 September 2022, 15:05

Yes, you can change RAM disk file system without going through the settings of all other software that uses it. To do that safely:
  1. Open RAM Disk main window, right-click your disk in the list, and choose Properties.
  2. In the Properties window, under File System Options, select a new File System for the disk and press OK.
  3. "Would you like to remount the disk now to apply the changes?" message will pop up. Press Cancel in that message window.
  4. Reboot your computer. During the reboot, your RAM disk will get the new file system without causing any disruption to other applications.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.