Scheduled backups of RAM disk image file

Started by Curtis

Curtis

Scheduled backups of RAM disk image file   29 April 2023, 09:57

I have been running RAM disks for over 25 years. I've been using Dataram products and they work well but are no longer being updated. You are still updating and developing and I am willing to switch to your software on my main machine and my server.

I run an 8GB RAM drive on an I9 with 32GB of RAM. I use it for the usual: temp files, cache files, etc, and also run installed BOINC software on it 24/7 employing shared computing to help to cure cancer and other shared computing projects. I also use it for 3D modelling projects. The goal is not to use my SSD drives for this.

What I need is a way to schedule RAM disk image file backups.

My machine usually runs for months at a time and the image file can get very stale. And if the power goes out beyond my UPS's battery limit I can lose days of computations and have to start over on some projects.

Thank You!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Scheduled backups of RAM disk image file   29 April 2023, 10:22

It is perfectly doable with our RAM Disk application as it can periodically update the associated image every X minutes. In addition, to speed things up, it re-writes only the blocks that have changed since the last backup, which also greatly reduces the amount of writing to the SSD.

To set periodic backups, open the main window, select your RAM disk and open its Properties. There click Advanced, and set how frequently you want to save your data in the Save contents to associated image every, min option. This option becomes available after linking the RAM disk to an image file.

SoftPerfect support forum
Curtis

Re: Scheduled backups of RAM disk image file   01 May 2023, 12:30

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I will buy one license and see how it works on my personal machine.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Scheduled backups of RAM disk image file   01 May 2023, 12:34

We are glad to be of help.

By the way, our RAM Disk comes with a free 30-day trial. Therefore, if you wish, you can use it for that period to make you that you are absolutely happy with the software before purchasing a license.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.