How to apply latency between specified IP addresses

Started by User

Hi,
I want to apply latency between two specified IP addresses. I used the filter option for the source and destination IP addresses in the emulator tool, but I can't see the latency graph when the test is running. Please help me with this feature.
Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to apply latency between specified IP addresses   10 October 2020, 14:40

Does the traffic between those IP addresses actually flow through the connection that you are using the Connection Emulator on?

If you have device A and device B, and run the Connection Emulator software on device C, then A's and B's traffic must be routed via C. Otherwise the emulation will not work.
I have device A,where the Emulator is installed, and device B, which I have configured in setup the filter. The Established Connections list shows the connections. But the Latency chart and the Network Flow graph are empty.

Here is the profile: [profile.XML]
Ann

Re: How to apply latency between specified IP addresses   12 October 2020, 18:49

It seems the issue is that your VLAN ID tag set to 1:
<vlanid>1</vlanid>
This feature is for rare cases where network packets carry VLAN tags. Normally these are stripped by switches and there is no need to specify one. Try setting the VLAN ID to zero in the filter settings, and you should be able to see the traffic.
Thanks for your support. Now I can see the Network Flow graph, but the Latency chart still shows nothing.
Ann

Re: How to apply latency between specified IP addresses   12 October 2020, 19:10

It is likely that in your case the data exchange was less than 100 packets.

As you are applying the loss and latency to only 1% of the packets, it will affect 1 packet out of 100 on average. So if you send less than 100 packets, it can happen that the 1/100 chance of the loss doesn't occur. Below is a screen shot taken when using your profile, but with more data passing through the connection; and you can see the marks in the Latency, Loss and Network Flow charts.

To get the losses and latency reflected on the graph, you can either send more data through, or change it to apply to more packets, e.g. 50% or 100%.

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.