Maximum throughput limit

Started by Kimran

Kimran

Maximum throughput limit   12 February 2020, 11:50

Hello. Someone explained to me that your Bandwidth Manager product depends mainly on CPU and that a god test had been done with one rule at 500 Mbps. Depending on my CPU, would I be able to offer maybe 300 Mbps to 100 customers each? When you say maximum throughput of 300-500 Mbps, is this aggregate or parallel streams to several users?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Maximum throughput limit   12 February 2020, 11:53

The 300-500 Mbps limit is the aggregate throughput. No matter how many rules you have, the software cannot handle more than that. Generally, the more rules, the lower is the limit, though 100 rules are probably okay.

However, do you really mean to offer 300 Mbps to 100 customers each, or you made a typo? That's a total of 30 Gbit/s! Many hardware appliances will not be able to handle that, let alone software.
Kimran

Re: Maximum throughput limit   16 September 2020, 10:48

Hello again guys, I learned a while back that BM could only manage max 300Mbps connection depending also on server hardware. But if the hardware was sufficient, how many parallel 300Mbps connections can be managed by one server?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Maximum throughput limit   16 September 2020, 10:59

There are many factors that affect the maximum throughput, from CPU performance to network card drivers and the number of rules. It is best if you test the software in your environment to see what can be achieved in your particular case. Generally you can expect up to 300 Mbps per server, and this cannot be parallelised.

Having said that, in the latest version 3.2.11 we have done a number of optimisations and this version is expected to be able to handle up to 1 Gbps. This is, again, subject to the number of rules and provided bridging is not used, so, again, please test first before purchasing the update! You can check the changelog and download the free trial of new version on the Bandwidth Manager home page.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.