How to decrease the frequency of event triggering and email alerts

Started by Lance Kepner

I am testing out Networx (exceptional, btw) for detecting some youtube usage. I have everything set up to detect a reasonable amount of data within a given time frame, and have tested to make sure its in a sweet spot for our network. It triggers just fine. The trigger calls a batch file that runs two powershell scripts, first to generate the iexplore urls and export to a file then another to send and email of that file.

My problem is that Networx triggers almost once every minute. I need to know if there is a way to set the trigger timing in any way so I am not spamming myself with email alerts.

Thank you.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to decrease the frequency of event triggering and email alerts   03 August 2016, 14:07

There isn't a way to limit the rate of notifications at the moment. Naturally they are sent as often as they occur, which yes, can be every minute.

The simplest way to deal with it, say if you want to have the notifications sent no more than once an hour, is to use the following batch file. It creates a file with the current hour as its file name. This file is treated as a flag, so no matter how many times this script runs, it will only print a message at most once an hour. This can be easily adapted to sending e-mails:
@set hr=%TIME:~0,2%
@if exist hour-%hr% (
@rem do nothing
) else (
@del /Q hour-*
@copy nul hour-%hr%
@echo Print this once an hour
)
Thank you for your quick reply.

I hope you can work some kind of notification interval into the next update. That would be amazing.

Thank you for your advise. I was thinking of doing something like this and will implement it. Thank you again, and amazing work.
Any suggestions on how to modify that code snippet to trigger every say 10 minutes?

Thank you in advance.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to decrease the frequency of event triggering and email alerts   03 August 2016, 23:52

Sure, like this for example:
@set /a hr=%TIME:~3,2%/10*10
@if exist hour-%hr% (
@rem do nothing
) else (
@del /Q hour-*
@copy nul hour-%hr%
@echo Print this every 10 mins
)

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.