"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out

Started by Albertinix

Albertinix

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   26 July 2013, 18:15

Hi,

I'm using Networx 5.2.9, 64 bit version. Yesterday I installed it and it ran just fine. I could enable the option "Ignore local traffic...", define some more subnetworks to ignore, traffic appeared for each application, etc.

I did not restart my PC yesterday. Today however, when I logged in, I got a message box (sorry I did not make a note of the message, but it was something like "Operation blocked" [?]) and now the "Ignore local traffic..." option is greyed out. I tried quitting and relaunching Networx, with or without admin privileges... nothing.

Could you tell me what could be the problem?

Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   26 July 2013, 18:29

Some third-party security software on your computer (antivirus?) seems to have blocked the NetWorx network driver.
Albertinix

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   29 July 2013, 18:02

Ok.... could you tell me what the driver consists of? (.dll files or other details)
I can try to look into it and see if anything was blocked, but no file from the Networx install directory seems to be blocked.

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   29 July 2013, 19:00

It's C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\networx.sys

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   30 July 2013, 21:40

Honestly - I could not find any networx.sys, anywhere.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Networx and as usual the driver seems to work (probably until tomorrow or another reboot), but still I cannot find any networx.sys, nor any other .sys file that was added or modified today in the reinstall (or in the past month, so nothing from the previous install either). So... how come it does work for the moment, after the install?
Maybe what you've told me is for another version of Networx? I have v. 5.2.9 on Windows 7 x64.

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   30 July 2013, 21:43

No, it's for this version. Your system settings however may hide system files and folders, so you don't see networx.sys. In this case Windows Search wouldn't find it either.

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   30 July 2013, 22:04

I'm not using Windows Search. I'm using a "Commander"-like tool (Free Commander in my case) and everything is visible, all hidden, system files, etc. I set it up always like this. I also have admin rights, so I can go in every folder and search everything.
So I thought: OK, maybe my Antivirus or some Group Policy rules prevents it (the driver) from being installed. If that's the case - then how come it's working right now? Even if I don't see it anywhere?

So I started checking the handles opened by the executable - using "Resource Monitor" from Windows 7 and selecting the Networx executable - and I couldn't find anything at "Associated handles", "Modules", etc. Nothinh remotely looking like the driver you mentioned.

Then I tried with Process Explorer from Sysinternals and searched for handles and the like. Nothing similar to a driver. The only thing that I could see is that one of Networx's threads kept calling a function from nfapi, called nf_unRegisterDriver, at some intervals.

Sorry that I keep insisting - but I've become quite curious at what could be the problem.

Well, in the end - if it can't be solved..... c'est la vie smile

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   31 July 2013, 11:06

If Free Commander, that you are using, is a 32-bit application, most likely when you dive in C:\Windows\System32, it actually shows you c:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64.

More about it here in case if you want to know smile

"Ignore local traffic..." option greyed out   31 July 2013, 18:06

Thank you! Can't believe I missed that. It's quite obvious now; it should have rung a bell when I did not see many drivers in that folder :P
Anyway - the driver is there so far, even after a restart. I'll be monitoring the next few days.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.