Huge jump in usage

Started by hoyt

Huge jump in usage   31 July 2013, 02:23

I run NetWorx in the background and haven't looked at it for months. When I did today I noticed that starting May 13 of this year my daily usage jumped from 60 to 90 MB a day to 3 to 13 GB a day (that's G as in gigabytes). My monthly totals have gone from 3 to 8 GB a month to 190 GB in June. That can't be because my monthly ISP limit is 10 GB. I am monitoring only my own computer.

NetMeter shows 3 GB in June, and no quantum change on May 13.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Huge jump in usage   31 July 2013, 11:03

This is probably you have VirtualBox installed on your computer. You just need to choose ONE specific network interface to monitor in the settings.

As installed NetWorx is monitoring all traffic on all network interfaces, possibly including local traffic or multiple adapters including virtual and dial-up ones and sums it all up.

This results in incorrect readings. It may have worked okay in the past, but due to some implications with VirtualBox, the latest versions no longer ignore traffic on VirtualBox adapters.

Thank you   01 August 2013, 01:15

Andrew,

Thanks very much. I had downloaded and installed VirtualBox in May 2012 (last year) but wasn't using it. I uninstalled it yesterday and NetWorx is back to normal.

I wonder what else VirtualBox was doing to my machine?

Excellent support you provide, especially for a free program.

Regards,
Hoyt

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.