Networx reported less traffic than ISP

Started by rossmcm

rossmcm

Networx reported less traffic than ISP   24 November 2013, 01:34

I've seen a few posts about Networx reporting more traffic than is registered by an ISP for those who have incorrect settings in the program, but mine is the other way around. I've been logging traffic for a day or in the "applications" tab for all users combined. Only one user (Win XPSP3) is running on one PC connected via WiFi to a WRT54G, which connects to our ISP via a radio modem.

The traffic reported by my ISP is roughly double that reported by Networx. There is nothing else connected to the WiFi apart from the 1 PC.

Any ideas why this might be?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: discrepancy between Networx traffic reported and ISP   24 November 2013, 09:57

Well, it's really hard to tell.

Perhaps if you download a file of the known size, you can compare it with what NetWorx records. Say, download 5 MB and check how much was added to the general screen figures and/or application view?
I downloaded a 8347k file, and the traffic reported by the Networx speed meter, the hourly rates, and the applications tab were all pretty much spot on (actually a bit under at 8.18M, but a M is probably 2^20 bytes). Wouldn't ya know it, the ISP-reported total didn't get updated right away for some reason, but when it did, it showed an increase of considerably more than that. So much for the controlled experiment.

Well at least I know Networx is truthful. If I find out my ISP is over-reporting...

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.