Tray icon bar graph

Started by C

C

Tray icon bar graph   05 December 2013, 16:01

Hi there,
I like to use they tray icon to quickly tell if there is any network activity so I have set it to the thick bar graph.
Mostly this works well but I have found that sometimes even though there is activity the graph will be empty which makes it seem as if nothing is happening.
I'm guessing that this happens because:
1. The up/down bars are drawn relative to each other and the max up/down speed, which makes sense but if for example the download speed is a lot higher than the upload speed the upload bar will be empty
2. The maximum speed that the graph is drawn relative to is taken as the max speed found over some period of time

Her's what I suggest is:
1. Still draw the graphs relative to each other, but for each bar individually make sure to draw at least one bar if there is any activity
2. Instead of using the max speed found over some period of time use only the current speed to determine the height of the bars.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Tray icon bar graph   05 December 2013, 16:14

This happens because NetWorx remembers the maximum up and down rates (separately) since it was started and uses those values to draw the tray icon bars.

So your suggestion

Instead of using the max speed found over some period of time use only the current speed to determine the height of the bars.

How do you expect it to work? If the current speed is 100 bytes/sec, how many bars is it supposed to show? What about 100 000 bytes/sec?

It has to be relative to some value in the past.
C

Re: Tray icon bar graph   05 December 2013, 19:37

Well no matter what speed the graph is relative to, I would really like it if at least one bar would be shown when there is any activity (for the upload and download separately of course)

It has to be relative to some value in the past.

Why can't it be relative to only the current speed?
So the max speed that the graph is drawn relative to will be the higher speed of the current up/down rate.
If the current speed for example is 3 kB/s down and 1.5 kB/s up then the download bar will be at 100% and the upload bar will be at 50%.
If the current speed is 20000 kB/s down and 100000kB/s up the the download bar will be at 20% and the uploade bar will be at 100%.

Alternatively if you don't like or can't use just the current speed, then how about using the max speed for shorter period of time, maybe a minute or just a few seconds should be enough.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Tray icon bar graph   05 December 2013, 21:54

I have changed it to be calculated over a maximum within the last 5 seconds.

If you want to try it, the downloads are here.

Hopefully someone won't complain they want back the old way with the calculation over a session's maximum.
C

Re: Tray icon bar graph   05 December 2013, 22:46

Thanks! That works well.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.