Can I monitor both router, to see usage across all devices, and desktops at once?

Started by BliND

Any way to get Networx to monitor my router and 2 computers? I want to monitor total bandwidth on my network (ISP only gives me 250GB a month, could easily do 500GB without even trying) and would like to at least see data usage on the 2 desktops that are most used (since I can't install it on a Mac or my Android devices). But looks like it's either one or the other, I can't watch both the router and computers at the same time it seems. Networx actually shows me my 2 desktops under Users and also Router, but Router is only showing maybe 200MB at most in this mode which is obviously wrong, only way to watch all network usage on my router is with the "Monitor my router rather than this computer" setting, but like I said above that will not show me the 2 desktops.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Can I monitor both router, to see usage across all devices, and desktops at once?   06 July 2015, 22:13

Yes, it's one or the other. You can however run two independent instances of portable NetWorx in two different folders, one configured to monitor the router and the other one configured the desktop itself.
I did not think of the portable one but thinking of a problem I might run across, both computers aren't always on so while Networx will track and synchronize the desktops will the portable one be able to synchronize for the routers? I was thinking I could install the portable one also on both desktops for usage through the router mode but not sure if the synchronization works in. Or maybe I should be switching the installed ones to track the router and use the portable one to see only the computer it's on.
As soon as I tried to turn on the synchronize option on the portable one it gave me a socket error, guess it's conflicting with the other one?

Re: Can I monitor both router, to see usage across all devices, and desktops at once?   07 July 2015, 10:47

That's right, for the sync to work only on copy may have it enabled. By the way, if you want to monitor the router, the computer must always be on, otherwise the readings may be incorrect.
Router mode not as accurate? Right now it's showing 2GB over what my router does. I'm trying SNMP mode as I have one wired desktop and the other one wireless, and I switched the installed version of Networx to be able to synchronize router mode as pretty much one of them is always on when the other one isn't, the wireless one can't see the UPnP mode to see router for some reason so not sure if UPnP mode would be more accurage than SNMP.

Re: Can I monitor both router, to see usage across all devices, and desktops at once?   07 July 2015, 14:23

It's accurate provided you have chosen the correct router's interface facing the Internet.

By the way, I am not sure if you are doing this, if you are trying to sync the desktop's usage and router's usage, you will get double reporting. Say, instance A records traffic from and to the desktop, while instance B records traffic from the router. If A and B are synced, the readings will double.
I see what you're saying. I had been messing with the Portable version of Networx a bit throughout the day which I have set to watch the network cards on each computer now, not "All Connections", I might have had them on a mode that DID try and track router and desktop at the same time earlier which added to the bandwidth usage. Hopefully now I have everything figured out. I have the installed versions of Networx on each computer to sync and set to router (SNMP mode, connected to 192.168.1.1 which is my router, in the eth0 WAN interface ). At the moment it's past midnight and I can see both Networx (installed version) tracking router and my actual router are currently in sync, accurate to the MB 1 hour into the next day. Thanks for the help!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.