Logging mobile broadband applications only

Started by Peter

Peter

Logging mobile broadband applications only   02 September 2015, 07:26

Hi,

It took me some time to understand that application logging requires the non-portable version which I used some time and worked quite well. I only want to track my WWAN so I enabled "All Mobile Broadband Connections".

Now I installed the non-portable version and activated "Ignore local traffic within the LAN". Unfortunately the interface selection turns grey now suggesting that all traffic is logged (including WiFi) sad

In "Networks" I can select only the MAC address which is used when connecting via WWAN. However, is this really reliable? Is the Gateway MAC address really always and guaranteed the same? (at least for Ethernet, it definitely changes!!)

Apart from this, there is another subtle problem: Whereas with the configuration above the general traffic seems to be logged for WWAN only, the data in "Applications" comes from all connections. For example, right now I am connected via Wifi (the networx icon is grey) but the traffic in the "Applications" tab still counts traffic from the Wifi interface sad

Thank you!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Logging mobile broadband applications only   02 September 2015, 18:20

It's a bug, thank you for reporting it. I have just fixed it in this build, please give it a go and let me know how it works.
Peter

Re: Logging mobile broadband applications only   07 September 2015, 19:01

Thanks for the quick response and update!!

I just installed it but I am not sure which bug specifically was fixed .... traffic tracking for Applications?

In "Monitored interfaces", the selection of connections is still disabled as soon as "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" is enabled.
Clicking on "Networks" I found that indeed the "Gateway MAC Address" changes once in a while. So it seems to me that if I want to only track WWAN interface + application usage I have only two options:
  1. Select "Monitor usage in" -> "All networks that I connect to" and risk that other traffic (Wifi etc) is also tracked
  2. Select "Monitor usage in" -> "Only networks selected below" and risk that traffic does not get tracked because the gateway MAC changed

Is this the case and is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks again!
Peter
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Logging mobile broadband applications only   08 September 2015, 14:12

Sorry for being unclear. What was fixed is this:

Peter

Whereas with the configuration above the general traffic seems to be logged for WWAN only, the data in "Applications" comes from all connections. For example, right now I am connected via Wifi (the networx icon is grey) but the traffic in the "Applications" tab still counts traffic from the Wifi interface

This is a bug as the Applications should not be recorded when you are connected to a network that is not monitored.

Regarding your question, the Applications can only be recorded when the Ignore local traffic within the LAN option is ticked. When it's ticked however, NetWorx monitors traffic at a higher level in the system where the application information is present, but the interface context is not available. This is why the interface drop-down list becomes inactive when this option is ticked.

So your assumption is correct, in order to track applications only when connected to WWAN, you only have those two options, which have the risk of missing data or extra data recorded. Sorry, I can't think of a better way of doing this sad
Peter

Re: Logging mobile broadband applications only   10 September 2015, 06:21

Oh, I was afraid sad Sad to hear that but thanks for the clarification!

As a suggestion, wouldn't it be possible to filter at least according to local MAC addresses rather than "Gateway MAC Addresses" which can change randomly?

Thanks,
Peter

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.