Massive amount of I/O reads and I/O writes

Started by Alex

Alex

Massive amount of I/O reads and I/O writes   22 May 2016, 03:37

HD Tune Pro is reporting an absolutely crazy amount of read and write I/Os, and a huge amount of written data caused by NetWorx:

SoftPerfect support forum

Roughly 2 million read and write I/Os and 8GB written in less than an hour of monitoring. This is while another program (JDownloader) downloaded 12GB of data. What I don't understand is that Networx doesn't even appear in the "Disk" section of Windows Resource Monitor. Only HD Tune reports the writes.

When "Ignore LAN traffic" option is enabled, NetWorx appears to write more data than JDownloader. When ignoring LAN traffic is disabled, NetWorx is reduced to just a few write I/Os a minute and read I/Os at all.

I've been using NetWorx since 2014 and only just discovered this. Now I'm concerned about my SSD.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Massive amount of I/O reads and I/O writes   22 May 2016, 11:29

If HD Tune Pro uses Event Tracing for Windows (ETW), there may be two possibilities:
  • HD Tune incorrectly classifies network I/O as disk I/O; or
  • HD Tune classifies the communication between networx.sys and networx.exe as disk I/O, which it isn't.
It doesn't appear in the Disk section of Windows Resource Monitor because there is no disk activity. You can run Process Monitor and observe that in reality NetWorx merely performs a few dozen I/Os per minute and no I/Os at all when idle. So your SSD has nothing to fear from NetWorx.

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.