High spikes of CPU and RAM usage

Started by Tony

Tony

High spikes of CPU and RAM usage   21 August 2019, 11:18

I am running NetWorx on a Windows 7 desktop, and fairly often the memory usage grows rapidly to 500+MB, sometimes consuming almost all of my 16GB of RAM, crashing other programs. I have had to create a script that will restart NetWorx if the memory usage goes to about 512MB, and in the time writing this it's restarted the program at least 4 times.

I also run NetWorx on my Windows 10 desktop without any issues. RAM usage is very tame there, never more than ~120MB, usually around ~45MB.

I want to make sure that I'm tracking network usage, but it's getting very unreliable on my Win 7 Home Premium machine. Not sure what I can provide that would help. I also noticed while writing this that I had several spikes of network usage reported at ~360+Mbps, which is 3x the maximum of my connection (125Mbps up / 1Gbps down). During these times ProcessExplorer and Task Manager didn't show more than ~5% network utilization. These spikes also had large CPU and RAM spikes. And again, while writing this I watched NetWorx report 660+Mbps report, massive RAM, CPU and I/O spike.

The Win 7 machine that this is running on usually has a lot going on. Many connections from several services like Plex. Typically has a constant upload stream of ~2-6Mbps.

Thanks,
Tony
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: High spikes of CPU and RAM usage   21 August 2019, 11:27

It sounds like you are using the "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" setting. When it is enabled, NetWorx has to filter every network packet and keep a list of connections for tracking. This may result in higher processor and memory usage.

In your case, when, as you said, a lot is going on your Windows 7 computer, the CPU and RAM demands are very high. When pushed to extreme, towards the crashing point, the network activity reporting can lose its precision too, which you also mentioned. As you can see in comparison, on your Windows 10 computer that is used moderately/normally you have no issues with NetWorx.

There are two things you can try to remedy the situation:
  • In the hidden options, set "Keep track of TCP/UDP connections" to False. This should reduce memory usage, but probably not CPU.
  • Untick "Ignore local traffic within the LAN" in the main settings. This will stop monitoring and recording activity by each separate application, but will be much faster and more memory-efficient.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.