What is NetWorx
NetWorx is a simple, yet powerful tool that helps you objectively evaluate your bandwidth consumption situation. You can use it to collect bandwidth usage data and measure the speed of your Internet or any other network connections. NetWorx can help you identify possible sources of network problems, ensure that you do not exceed the bandwidth limits specified by your ISP, or track down suspicious network activity characteristic of Trojan horses and hacker attacks.
The program allows you to monitor all your network connections or just a specific network connection, such as Ethernet or PPP. The software also features an array of highly customisable visual and sound alerts. You can set it up to alert you when the network connection is down or when some suspicious activity — such as unusually heavy data flow — occurs. It can also automatically disconnect all dial-up connections and shut the system down.
With NetWorx you can:
- Find out and monitor how fast your Internet connection is and how much Internet traffic you consume.
- Verify whether your ISP charges your Internet usage fairly.
- Detect a suspicious network activity on your computer.
- Perform simple network tests such as ping and trace route.
- Be notified about excessive Internet usage.
Monitoring of multiple computers
NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer where it is installed. If you want to monitor traffic on multiple computers, you basically have two options:
- Install NetWorx on every computer in your network. This can only be done if all your computers are running Windows. While NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer it is installed on, the instances of NetWorx can talk to each other so that each instance is synchronised and shows the actual overall usage. In this case, devices like iPads, Smart TV or mobile phones will not be metered. This synchronisation needs to be turned on in the advanced settings.
- If your router supports so-called SNMP or UPnP protocol, you can monitor all traffic via your router. This however will not give you a per-device usage breakdown and the monitoring computer must be continuously on to poll the router and collect usage data. See the Router Monitoring page for more details.
Mac and Linux specifics
Some features (for example, the “Ignore local traffic within the LAN” option) are available in Windows version only, due to the absence of the necessary functionality for implementing these features in other operating systems.
This product includes GeoLite2 data created by MaxMind.