Adding script or schedule to run periodically

Started by Nick

Nick

Adding script or schedule to run periodically   24 June 2013, 10:05

I've been searching for a program like this for months! I only just discovered the Network Scanner, and it's exactly what I've been looking for. Basically I work in a building that offers a few rooms of computers for use by students and faculty, and we would like a way to keep an automatically updated list of all computers that are currently being used. I've been mostly looking into the PSLoggedOn program that Microsoft offers, but I can't use it remotely because the computers don't allow that kind of access between them. But this Network Scanner program seems to determine who is logged in with no problem.

I'm wondering if there is a way to add this program to a script, something that runs once a minute and updates a list of what computers are being used. I see that I can manually tell this program to rescan all computers and then I could manually tell it to output them to a file, but I want to know if I can automate this.

Or if possible, I'm curious if someone could shed some light on how exactly this program determines what users are logged on to other computers. It would actually be even better for me to script that one feature because that's all I need. I've tried telnet but that's not enabled by default on these computers (and we want to keep it disabled), I've tried PSLoggedOn and recently tried WMIC with no luck.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Adding script or schedule to run periodically   24 June 2013, 16:37

Of course, there are several options.

Firstly, you can get the currently logged user using the nbtstat command. This is similar to what the Network Scanner does to retrieve the user name.

Secondly, you can use the /auto, /live and /cols command line switches to run the network scanner from the Windows scheduler or your own script and have its output saved to a file.

More about the supported command line switches is available at the bottom of the page.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.