Scanning WMI for TPM

Started by Karl

Karl

Scanning WMI for TPM   06 August 2019, 21:59

Good day, I am currently testing your Network Scanner software to detect if the remote systems have TPM enabled. Every time I scan their computers it says Access Denied for TPM only. Everything else gets detected.

I used the following input in the WMI Query Builder window:
Name Space : CIMV2\Security\MicrosoftTPM
WQL Statement: SELECT * FROM Win32_Tpm WHERE IsEnabled_InitialValue = True

As soon as I get this solved I will be ordering a copy for our client, so we could scan their computers.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Scanning WMI for TPM   06 August 2019, 22:22

It looks like access to that namespace requires an encrypted connection (with PacketPrivacy enabled).

We added it in the latest release. Please try ticking the new Encrypted connection setting as shown in the screenshot below. It should now be able to extract TPM information.

SoftPerfect support forum
Karl

Re: Scanning WMI for TPM   06 August 2019, 23:02

Thank you!!!!! It worked. I got the new version, checked the encryption box, scanned and voila!!! No more access denied.
Ann

Re: Scanning WMI for TPM   06 August 2019, 23:08

Fantastic! Thank you for the feedback.
David

Re: Scanning WMI for TPM   22 January 2024, 16:14

I see above that someone used "SELECT * FROM Win32_Tpm WHERE IsEnabled_InitialValue = True" in Remote WMI.

However, I was not able to find the class "Win32_Tpm" in the namespace CIMV2's WMI Class section. If I switch to the namespace SECURITY, the application gives me an Access Denied error.

Please advise.

Thanks,
David
Ann

Re: Scanning WMI for TPM   22 January 2024, 16:21

Generally speaking, Win32_Tpm is located in CIMV2\Security\MicrosoftTPM, not the Security namespace.

The most common reason for receiving an 'Access Denied' error when accessing either the Security namespace or the CIMV2\Security\MicrosoftTPM namespace is insufficient privileges. To access these namespaces, even on a local machine, the current user must be an administrator. Therefore, please ensure that you are running the application under an admin account.

Additionally, I recommend downloading the latest build, as we have implemented several improvements in this area. Specifically, the application will now retrieve sample data and a list of available classes, even for non-root namespaces.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.