All MAC addresses are identical

Started by Pat O'Malley

Pat O'Malley

All MAC addresses are identical   13 April 2023, 23:58

Howdy,

Every network scan I do works great, except all the MACs are the same (6C13D5BEEF5F). I don't know what options I should be looking at. The Detect duplicate MACs helpfully tells me that all the MACs are duplicates.

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: All MAC addresses are identical   14 April 2023, 10:20

This usually happens because of either:

WiFi range extender/repeater

If your devices are behind a WiFi range extender or repeater, it would look like the devices have different IP addresses, yet the same MAC address. A range extender typically hides devices behind itself and does not retain their MAC addresses. You can type arp -a in a command prompt and observe the same behaviour.

One way around this issue would be to enable the WDS mode (Wireless Distribution System). The advantage of WDS is that it preserves the MAC addresses of client frames across links between access points. The drawback of WDS is that devices from different vendors may not be compatible with each other.

Scanning a different subnet

If you are scanning a different subnet, the default gateway may respond to every ARP request with its own MAC address rather than the target device's address, thus misleading the Network Scanner. Furthermore, when that happens, it may appear that all IP addresses are online even those that are not assigned. A workaround for this is to set the ping method to ICMP only rather than Both ICMP and ARP.

We have a dedicated article on this issue: Scanning non-local subnets and MAC addresses.
Pat O'Malley

Re: All MAC addresses are identical   21 April 2023, 05:39

Thank you, Andrew!

I ended up using ICMP Only, NETBIOS, and router SNMP. No ARP or WMI.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.