Remote WMI connection issue

Started by iancomline

Remote WMI connection issue   02 July 2023, 01:37

Hi,
I'm not sure what could be the cause, but I have a issue with the remote WMI. It is working for some PCs across my network, but with a few it just won't work.

I have tested it using PowerShell and I can connect and get the information without any issues, but within the software it just keeps saying "Failed to connect or log in".

I have used the same login information from the PowerShell script to the software and still get the same issue.

Below is a picture of the command with the result and shows the error in the software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ian
Attachments:
open | download – imgr.png (203.8 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Remote WMI connection issue   02 July 2023, 11:45

Thank you for reporting the issue with the remote WMI connection. It's odd that it's working for some PCs across your network but not for others.

To help you troubleshoot the problem, we have published a new build of the app

In the updated version, we have added extra error information that will be appended to the "Failed to connect or log in" message. This additional information should provide insights into the specific cause of the connection failure.

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Remote WMI connection issue   02 July 2023, 19:51

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for providing this update. The error I am now getting is "Access is denied".

But I am using the same login information as to what I use in the PowerShell command for that PC. So I'm not sure why this would be the case.

Regards,
Ian
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Remote WMI connection issue   02 July 2023, 23:37

It's probably related to the authentication data. As far as I understand, you are trying to connect with a specific user name and password...?

If you run the app under the domain admin account, it's better to choose Use current account. Yet, if you want to use a different account, please make sure your password is correct and the user name is either Username@DomainName or DomainName\UserName.

If that's all correct, but you are still getting the access denied error, I recommend trying a few things with wbemtest. For that, click Start - Run - wbemtest - Connect. You will be presented with a dialog like show below.

SoftPerfect support forum

The computer name goes into the namespace field like \\COMPUTERNAME\root\cimv2, user name and password are self-explanatory. I noticed that your PowerShell script explicitly sets the authority, while our software leaves it blank.

So you may need to experiment with the connection settings and let me know what works and what doesn't.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.