Speed of ARP scans

Started by thescottallen

Speed of ARP scans   15 November 2023, 18:31

I was curious about the speed of an ARP scan. On any other app, ARP is like a quick blast to detect network devices. Cmd, powershell, etc, as soon as I hit "enter", I pretty much immediately get results. On another program I use, I can have it either scan a range of IPs or use ARP. Is there a way to get Network Scanner to do an ARP scan function more like this?

For most of my use cases this isn't a huge deal, but I work in Audio Visual programming where many devices need configuration with static IPs. A DHCP server is not always available, so most devices are just set to link local.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Speed of ARP scans   15 November 2023, 20:51

The two parameters that directly affect scanning speed are the number of threads and ping method. You could set them to 256 or 512 and ARP only, as shown below. This should scan a class C network in just a few seconds, though it would depend on the number of addresses online.

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.