Thank you for offering a free RAM Disk software!

Started by CosmicAnaconda

CosmicAnaconda

Thank you for offering a free RAM Disk software!   25 May 2014, 08:50

I used your firewall for many years on my old Windows XP computer, and have just installed RAM Disk program on my notebook. You keep making awesome lightweight software just like the in past. Thank you for offering a free personal version. smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM disk software!   25 May 2014, 21:42

Thank you for your comments, glad you enjoy our software smile
CosmicAnaconda

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM disk software!   26 May 2014, 03:30

Hey, Andrew. After using it for a day, I ran into a problem. I set a disk to be wiped automatically on unmount, but after mounting again or rebooting the computer, Windows Explorer still displays it as if it was storing data. See the screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Jtyzqsg.png

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM disk software!   26 May 2014, 09:55

The Wipe option refers to erasing the RAM block after unmount, this only makes sense for sensitive data whose fragments must not stay in RAM.

On your screen shot the disk is empty. If you refer to the missing 8 MB of free space, it's taken by the NTFS structures and that's normal for any NTFS-formatted disk.
ComiscAnaconda

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM disk software!   26 May 2014, 10:34

Andrew

If you refer to the missing 8 MB of free space, it's taken by the NTFS structures and that's normal for any NTFS-formatted disk.

Yes, that's what I meant. I hadn't thought that it could be reserved for the partition filesystem. ~18MB, right?

Andrew

The Wipe option refers to erasing the RAM block after unmount, this only makes sense for sensitive data whose fragments must not stay in RAM.

I thought that the files would stay in RAM after unmounting if I didn't check that option. I'm using this disk for some temporary files, not sensitive data. Is it better to disable the wipe option to improve performance?

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM disk software!   26 May 2014, 11:01

Yes, it's better to untick the Wipe option. It merely zeroes a memory block after releasing it. If you don't have any sensitive data in it, untick this option for better performance.

As to the file system occupied space, well that's NTFS. Try formatting it as FAT32 and it should give you more space available.
CosmicAnaconda

Re: Thank you for offering a free RAM Disk software!   27 May 2014, 15:54

I've unticked the W flag, and I don't mind the space being used by NTFS now that I know where it comes from. Thank you for your polite and helpful replies!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.