RAM maxed out on startup from hibernation

Started by Rob

Rob

RAM maxed out on startup from hibernation   13 September 2016, 03:24

Hello! I was excited to use RAM Disk for Firefox, to hopefully cure the gradual slowdown problem it has. I always have several tabs open so that I can read them at a later time, because I have limited internet data. Right now I have (had) 110 tabs, but only about 25 currently actually loaded (due to previous RAM issue, I had to force shutdown computer). At first, it seemed RAM Disk worked amazingly fdor Firefox, things were loading much faster and was not experiencing the slow down.

Being a graphic designer, and always a major multi-tasker, I have come to rely on Window's hibernate feature. I can pick up on projects and what I was doing the day before without having to load everything again. I am using Windows 7 and have 16 GB of RAM.

Twice in the past week, I have start up my computer with it maxed out on RAM (98-99% usage). The first time it happened I was not able to determine the problem as I had a lot of memory hogs loaded (Firefox, iTunes, Illustrator and Photoshop) as well as several Word docs, an Excel doc, several Notepad++ documents and several Windows Explorer windows open. The computer was nearly completely unresponsive --- even the audio beeps for pressing Caps Lock and Num Lock were delayed by approximately 3 minutes! I tried to shut down the computer, but after about 45 minutes of nothing happening, I decided to force shut down with the power button. I booted up and everything was performing as expected and had been for several days.

Today, I started up my computer from hibernate and the RAM is maxed again. After 20 minutes, the RAM is still maxed, but the CPU is only at 3% usage. Due to the previous issue I had, I decide to not let major memory hogs stay loaded beyond iTunes and Firefox. This time, I was able to close everything down, albeit very slowly, except for Firefox. It would not respond. I was able to shut down, but it too about 8 minutes.

Could RAM Disk be causing the issue? Me adding RAM Disk a few weeks ago is the only major change I have made to my computer. Previous to RAM Disk, everything was operating well. Is there an issue with using RAM Disk with hibernate? Seems this could be the case, as hibernate itself writes to your RAM everything that is open on your computer, correct? Am I just causing the issue with too many RAM items loaded? Is my RAM failing/going bad?

Please and thank you in advance for any help!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM maxed out on startup from hibernation   13 September 2016, 11:19

Theoretically speaking, yes the RAM Disk could be causing this issue, though as of yet I am not aware of an issue with hibernation. How large is your RAM Disk, by the way?

If this happens again, I recommend to launch this utility called RAMMap, which can show how the physical RAM is allocated.
Rob

Re: RAM maxed out on startup from hibernation   16 September 2016, 06:13

Thanks for the reply. I have 4 GB set up for RAM Disk.

I also forgot to mention I was using RAM Disk as the Windows TEMP and TMP folders as well. Should I go larger with my RAM Disk size ----- using this for both Firefox and Windows?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM maxed out on startup from hibernation   16 September 2016, 10:36

Well that depends on how much of the RAM Disk is actually used. Let's say I have a 4 GB RAM Disk on my PC and I never needed a larger size, but you can take a look at the free disk space on the RAM Disk at different points in time to see if its size is sufficient.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.