RAMdisk gets write protected when copying

Started by cemara

RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 13:57

I'm using geil dragon 32gb ram x3 to get 96gb ram (in bios it reads micron ram)
And i created 32gb ramdisk and pair it with 32gb image on another drive... sync every 1 min.

thing is, when im copying a lot of files to that ramdisk im getting write protected sometimes but when i choose try again 3 times the copying process resumes.. planning on using this for diskless so should i be worried about its stability?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 14:40

That's how it works: to ensure file system consistency, the RAM Disk becomes write-protected during copying its contents to an associated image file.

I'd recommend against using image files for your purposes. Use a file-level backup using a tool like robocopy or unison.

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 15:22

Thanks ! I thought there was something wrong with my ram.. smile

Hopefully the latency is good enough.. using it to PXE boot several clients using ccboot.

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 18:41

Hmm i'm having another strange problem and i think it's related to this.. I'm using Kodi and its database is stored in ramdisk. Kodi would scrap new content from website API and updates the library (write to ramdisk). But Now i cant seem to update it. Updating to SSD works fine though.. so it's not scrapper problem.

What would be a better solution for my scenario then?
I don't wanna lose the library data when the machine reboots either.

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 18:52

Some programs don't work correctly with a disk that is a standalone volume. Ticking the Emulate Hard Disk option may help, it will emulate a hard disk with partitions.

It sounds like you should be using SSD though. A RAM Disk is for volatile data that can be lost or must be lost upon reboot.

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 19:09

How much slower is harddisk emulation? Is it significant? Kinda defeats the purpose of ramdisk if it's much slower...

Assuming i'm using sync tool such as syncovery / unison / etc. How would the the program sync the ramdisk files if it's constantly being write protected?

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 19:16

The HDD emulation layer adds a bit of overhead, usually around 5% or less.

There's no write-locking when there's no image attached. There's simply no reason to lock a RAM Disk in that case.

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 19:37

I see.. but then without image attached the data will be lost upon reboot.. and it would take a long time for the sync program to replicate the data.. am i right?

Re: RAMdisk gets write protected when copying   07 October 2016, 19:52

Yes, any data will be lost upon reboot.

Regarding a sync program, it sort of depends on how you set it up - you may need to experiment a little.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.