Issues with freezing and saving to images after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10

Started by Ben

Ben

Issues with freezing and saving to images after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10   09 May 2018, 21:59

I had SoftPerfect RAM Disk running stable and fine for 2 months now in Windows 7 x64, very happy with it.

Recently I upgraded my PC to Win10 x64 Pro. I have not been able to get it running stable yet. It has frozen the entire OS unusable several times now. The reason I know this was caused by ramdisk is because every time it happened, I was either changing its config or trying to write to the RAMdisk, apparently win10 doesn't like me using RAM this way. How do I allow the ramdisk service to be run as administrator or system user, which could perhaps solve this?

It doesn't seem to want to save to images anymore (the exact same image I used in Win7, which I store on a WD NVMe drive, M.2 PCI-E). I get this error dialog: "Win32 error code = 32 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
(I'm running Windows x64, by the way, so win32 error seems odd either way.)

The weird thing is, I mounted this image, it's green and functional in RAM. But it doesn't save back to the image anymore. Now I constantly need to manually copy the data from RAM to somewhere else on disk, because the image isn't allowing access and I don't want to lose work. Like I've seen posted by others: we need backup options to save the data currently in RAM to other images, perhaps 2 or more images as backups that rotate (shouldn't be too hard to code, since it's already doing delta-copying to the images), or even a directory as a backup for just auto-copying the content (if saving to the image fails, like I have now).

Let me know how I can provide you with logs for this error, I'm a licensed user so I would like to see this fixed.

Thanks in advance!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Issues with freezing and saving to images after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10   10 May 2018, 11:25

From what you have described it looks like a kernel deadlock, i.e. there are two processes mutually waiting for each other. It does not necessarily take place in the RAM Disk's code - it could as well be any other product that installs a kernel driver, e.g. an antivirus or firewall. While Microsoft offers tools to detect deadlocks as described in this article, those are not easy for a regular user to use, so I recommend to try a few other things beforehand.

First and foremost, we recommend to disable a feature called hybrid boot on Windows 8 and above. Open an elevated command prompt and type
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
Alternatively, if you don't hibernate your PC and want to save a few GBs of disk space, you can disable hibernation. This will permanently deactivate the hybrid boot as well. For that, in an elevated command prompt type
powercfg /h off
Reboot after either change.

Secondly, the inability to save data to an image file suggests that the image file may be open by something else. A very common issue would be an antivirus product attempting to analyse the image as it's being written into. If you have any Internet security or antivirus product, check if the location of your image file can be white-listed, so they don't interfere with writing into it.

Thirdly, if you upgraded your Windows 7 system in-place, that is installed Windows 10 over, rather than via a new clean installation, the RAM Disk app may be confused with the system change. In that case, simply uninstall the RAM disk, reboot and then install it again (the latest version).

Hope this helps.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.