How to change RAMdisk size used for TEMP folder

Started by Brian Francis

Brian Francis

How to change RAMdisk size used for TEMP folder   27 July 2018, 07:23

Hello,

I've defined a 12000 MB NTFS ramdisk for my R:TEMP directory (I am using an image file named ramdrive.0.img with flags N0). I'd like to reduce this to 4096 MB so that I have more available memory. What is the recommended procedure for changing the size of a ramdrive? Also, what are the recommended flags for a ramdisk used for a TEMP directory?

Thank you,
Brian.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to change RAMdisk size used for TEMP folder   27 July 2018, 13:05

For a RAM disk without an image, its size can easily be changed by editing the disk properties. Once the disk size was altered, a warning message will appear. When using the disk for temp files, we recommend clicking Cancel, gracefully closing all the running programs, and rebooting the computer. Otherwise clicking OK will forcibly remount the disk and may break programs that had open files on that disk.

SoftPerfect support forum

In your case, as you are using a RAM disk with an image, the disk size is determined by the size of its image file, so you need to create a new image file. If you want to retain all files and folders, please follow these steps:
  1. Create a new NTFS-formatted image file of 4096 MB in size.
  2. Mount it to a separate drive letter via Image - Mount Image in the main menu.
  3. Copy everything from your RAM disk to the mounted image.
  4. Unmount it via Image - Unmount Image in the main menu.
  5. Go to the RAM disk's settings and replace the image file name with the one created in step 1.
  6. When asked whether to remount the RAM disk, choose Cancel and reboot.
  7. After the reboot the old image file can be deleted as it's no longer used.

On a separate note, unless you have a specific reason to use an image file, for TEMP files we recommend using a volatile RAM disk (without an image) whose contents disappears on shutdown. Since this type of RAM disk doesn't use on-disk images, it initialises and shuts down faster. Plus it makes sense to use exFAT and move browser caches to the RAM disk. Please see our article How to improve PC performance with a RAM disk for details.
Brian Francis

Re: How to change RAMdisk size used for TEMP folder   27 July 2018, 23:28

I've switched to a volatile ramdisk as suggested and restarts are significantly faster.

Thank you,
Brian.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.