RAM contents are not saved to a persistent image file

Started by C F W

Dear support, I seem to have troubles saving the content of the RAM to a persistent disk (image file).

I realized this when my bookmarks did not get saved to the RAMdisk (which in turn saves them on the HDD as I have a persistent disk configured). I also noticed that when I start up the GUI for the RAMdisk and request it to save, it shows this error: "Win32 error code = 32 The process cannot access file because it is being used by another process."

I am not sure if this is an issue with the RAMdisk : I have this issue on my laptop with M2 drive, but do not have it on the normal spinner drive.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM contents are not saved to a persistent image file   15 December 2018, 11:28

Usually there are two things that could cause problems with saving to an image file:

Antivirus Products

There may be another process (usually an antivirus) that attempts to open the file at the same time. It is a common issue with antivirus products when they try to search for viruses in any file that is being written to a disk.

For the built-in Windows Defender you can exclude the location of the image file from being checked, as this article explains: How to exclude files and folders from Windows Defender Antivirus scans. For any additional security products you may have, please refer to their documentation for how to exclude a path from being checked. This should stop affecting the image file when it is being written to.

Windows Hybrid Boot

We recommend to disable the hybrid boot as it may interfere with normal RAM disk operations. Open an elevated command prompt and type
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F

Alternatively, if you don't hibernate your PC and want to save a few GBs of disk space, you can disable hibernation. This will permanently deactivate the hybrid boot as well. For that, in an elevated command prompt type
powercfg /h off
I have a similar issue, even after doing this: "Tick Save Contents to Image to write the current RAM disk contents to the associated image file on shutdown. It is unavailable for volatile disks". When I shutdown my PC, the RAM disk content is still not saved to the image file. Is it a limitation because I'm still testing the RAM disk software with free trial and haven't actually bought the license for it?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: RAM disk contents not saved to image file on shutdown   10 January 2019, 10:19

It is definitely not because you are using a trial (the trial has all the features of the licensed software, and the only limitation is the 30-day period). This is likely to be some kind of system issue, most probably related to Windows Hybrid Boot.

As suggested above, we recommend disabling the hybrid boot either by typing in the elevated command prompt
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
or, if you don't hibernate your PC and want to save some disk space, disabling hibernation which deactivates the hybrid boot as well, by typing
powercfg /h off
Now reboot your PC and see if everything works as expected.
Thanks, it solved the problem.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.