Updating and backing up an image file

Started by Erich

Erich

Updating and backing up an image file   29 December 2018, 16:30

Dear Support,

Yesterday I had a system crash and now some files in the RAM disk are in an old state or missing completely. So I have some questions regarding a RAM disk image file:
  • if I do an unmount, will the content of the image file be deleted or is the content still there when I mount it again?
  • how can I mount a backed up image file?

Thank you in advance for your support.
Kind regards
Erich
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Updating and backing up an image file   29 December 2018, 16:36

If you unmount the image file, nothing will be changed in it unless you have the Save Contents to Image option enabled. If that option is checked, any changes you made will be written to the image upon unmounting.

To access a backed up image, choose Image - Mount Image from the main menu and select your image file. Then you can copy data from and to that image via a drive letter. Once finished working with the image, unmount it via menu Image - Unmount Image.
Erich

Updating, backing up and copying an image file   29 December 2018, 16:44

Thank you so much for the quick answer. I have one more question:
  • If I use the Save button to update the original image file, is it possible to copy the image file to another drive while the image file is in use, and will I have the updated state in the copy? Or do I have to unmount and then copy the image file?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Updating, backing up and copying an image file   29 December 2018, 16:48

Technically, you can copy a mounted image file: the file is not locked for exclusive access.

However, it is worth noting that the image is a random access file, while the copy operation is sequential. This means that if writing to the image coincides with copying it at the same moment in time, the copied file will likely be corrupted. Otherwise, it should be Ok to copy a mounted image file if there is no writing being done to it at that moment.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.